Magma Wyrm Makar is an optional greater enemy boss residing in Elden Ring’s world. This horrific-looking creature was once a human, cursed to crawl the earth on its stomach as a lesser dragon for performing dragon communion. It possesses large wings, sharp claws, and a scaly body.
Among the cursed are also Magma Wyrms, who were also humans, and Great Wyrm Theodrix, who, unlike others, was a troll. These beings were left no more than mere creatures who would crawl the earth for eternity.
Magma Wyrm Makar Location
The boss is located on Ruin-Strewn Precipice, northeast of Liurnia of The Lakes. A lot of caves can be seen through this precipice. The boss resides on the top of this precipice and guards it. You can access this area from the closest Site of Grace Ruin-Strewn Precipice Overlook.
Magma Wyrm Makar Statistics
|534 / 824 / 1281
|534 / 824 / 1281
|534 / 824 / 1281
|1150 / 1607
|237 / 279 / 377 / 667
Best Tips for Magma Wyrm Makar Battle
- The weapons made from the fallen dragons are more helpful in penetrating through the thick, scaly body of the boss.
- Recommended level to fight this boss is at least 42.
- There are multiple NPC summons that are available for this boss fight. They can be called if their conditions are met, like questlines. Their sign appears before you enter the fog gates if they are available for summon. The NPC summons available are Great Horned Tragoth, Millicent, and Blackguard Big Boggart.
- You can summon spirit ashes in this boss fight and switch to Multiplayer (Co-op).
- You can deal with crits after the boss’ stance is broken.
- Boss takes massive damage if you deal it on his head, so staying up close and charging on his head is recommended, but be wary of his attacks. Roll through his sword attacks and backup up if he charges up for a fire attack. Aim for his head again once his fire attack finishes and repeat the process until the first phase ends.
- Use equipment that will help you dampen the effects of fire damage. Because this is a fire-breathing creature, it can deal massive amounts of damage.
- Once the second phase starts, the boss will stand on two legs. The most critical point for an attack is his legs after running underneath him.
- To break the boss’ stance, you must equip a weapon that will significantly damage the boss and charge on his legs until his stance is broken and a window to deal a critical damage attack opens.
- Heal behind a pillar to avoid any incoming attacks from the boss.
Magma Wyrm Makar Attacks and Counters
Makar’s attacks consist of sword attacks along with lava-spewing attacks. The player must be wary of his attacks so he is not caught up in his fire attacks and does not take up consistent damage.
The boss shoots out fire from his mouth that reaches a long distance and can damage the player. While this attack covers a long-range, it is pretty squeezed. To escape this attack, the player must wait for post-attack animation, which is easily noticeable when the boss’ mouth starts bubbling up. The player must stay straight ahead of his head and roll sideways as soon as the lava leaves his mouth. If the player manages to run behind the boss, he can deal with a few hits.
The animation for this attack is the same as before when the mouth starts bubbling up. The only difference that tells it is not a fire breath attack is that boss takes his head high up before shooting a large amount of fire in the arena. This projectile is massive, so the player needs to roll sideways and get to either side of the boss to evade this attack.
The boss will move around spontaneously while the lava will spill everywhere from his mouth on the ground. Since the boss’s movement is irregular and no pattern is recorded, the best way to evade this attack is by creating distance from the boss. The lava on the ground can consistently deal damage, so it is better to stay out of the attack’s range.
While the boss does not use his sword, he still has a few sets of easily telegraphed attacks that can be dodged with minimum effort. Makar will slam the blade to the ground from high above its head for this attack. The player can foresee this attack when the boss grabs the sword with his second hand. Roll backward to evade it.
The boss will perform a broad sweep with its sword. This attack occurs mainly if you are on either side or behind the boss, as this sweep is a full 180 degrees. When the boss starts sweeping, the player’s best bet is to roll back to escape the sword attack.
This attack starts with a sword slam as a ruse for players. The player may dodge it and then charge toward the boss, but instead, the boss then deals a follow-up attack by dragging the sword onto the ground. You can evade this combo if you dodge the first attack to the right.
Strategy to defeat Magma Wyrm Makar Easily
There is a way you can easily cheese Magma Wyrm Makar. If you utilize the large pillar in the center of the arena as a shield from the attack, you can cheese this boss if you lead the boss to the center pillar and the head to the opposite while remaining in sight of the boss. If you succeed in baiting him to that pillar, he will get stuck and keep walking toward you. This is when you can deal long-range attacks to the boss and easily defeat him. If you fail to get him in a walking animation, you can still use the pillar as your shield and deal damage while taking cover all the time.
For Melee Users
The primary strategy for melee players is to stay behind the boss as much as possible. This will help the melee users avoid the lava attacks but be wary of his fire charge attack as the lava spills can stay on the ground for a long time. Just evade the vicinity of this attack. You need to watch for the boss’180 degree swipe attack, which he will try to perform if you are mainly on the side or behind the boss.
For Magic and Ranged Users
As soon as the player enters the arena, it is recommended to summon a spirit that can withstand the fire attacks of the boss. While the boss is busy attacking the spirit, deal a few spells and aim for its head. Use spells like Magic Glintblade or Comet Azure to stun him quickly. When he is staggered, use a critical damage-dealing spell.
Once the boss enters the second phase, he’ll stay on his two legs while charging you with his sword. Maintain your distance and dodge the sword attacks like mentioned above. Attack only when the boss slams the blade on the ground and is vulnerable for a few seconds.
Magma Wyrm Makar Drops
- 24,000 Runes
- 6000 Runes (Co-op)
- Magma Wyrm’s Scalesword: A Curved Greatsword used to deal additional fire damage, which resembles a dragon’s jaw.
- Dragon Heart: A consumable item to trade spells at the Dragon Communication Altar.
Is Magma Wyrm’s Scalesword worth getting?
Yes, Magma Wym’s Scalesword is worth getting because of its ability to inflict a high amount of fire damage.