Elden Ring is the latest addition to the souls game, and one of the new mechanics introduced in Elden Ring was Incantations. To simplify the word incantations, it is referred to as Magic Spells that all the Faith, Intelligence, and Arcane Build players can do.
Incantations play a major role in combat, especially for the Confessor and Prophet class players. All of the other classes can also choose to use incantations if they level up their character to the requirement for incantations they want to use. It is not a simple mechanic as it sounds, as there are a number of things involved, even to cast a simple spell.
In this guide, we’ll be telling you how to use Incantations in Elden Ring as well as the things included in the process of casting a spell.
Where to Buy Incantations
There are a couple of ways through which you can get Incantations in Elden Ring.
- Kill a Specific Enemy/Boss.
- Buy Incantations from different NPCs in the Lands Between.
As you progress through the different regions of the Lands Between, you will get to fight various enemy types and bosses. Each Boss or unique enemy will drop an item on defeat and there are specific enemies and bosses who drop incantations.
Most of the Incantations can be bought in Elden Ring with Runes. There are a number of NPCs spread across the Lands Between who will teach you and sell you the incantations. Here are the following NPCs who will sell you the Incantations.
- Brother Corhyn at Roundtable Hall.
- D, Hunter of the Dead at Summonwater Village.
- Gurranq, Beast Clergyman at Bestial Sanctum.
- Miriel, Pastor of Vows at Church of Vows.
Each NPC will teach you a unique type of Incantations so, you can choose freely which type of incantations you want to learn.
How to Use Incantations
As told earlier, Incantations play a major role for Confessor and Prophet class because these are the only two classes that actually start with the items that are required to cast the incantations. The major item is a Sacred Seal and without the sacred Seal, you cannot cast incantations. Now, in order to use incantations, you need to follow the following steps.
- Open the Equipment Tab and select the Seal from your inventory.
- Equip the Seal either in your main hand or offhand.
- Press the Right Button on D-Pad to change the main hand equipment or Left Button on D-Pad to change the offhand equipment. PC players can use the Right or Left Arrow Keys to change the equipment. Keep changing the equipment until you have equipped the Seal in either one of the hands of your character.
- As you equip the Seal, you will be able to use any equipped incantations in your Memory Slots by pressing the main hand attack button or off hand attack button.
How to Memorize Spells
Memorizing Spells is one of the key steps required to use your favorite and preferred incantations. As there are over 100 Incantations in Elden Ring, you cannot memorize or use all of them. You can only use the memorized ones. In order to memorize the Spells, follow the following steps.
- Rest at any Site of Grace.
- Select the “Memorize Spells” options.
- Select the Incantations in the menu to save them in your Memory Slots.
- Once you have memorized the spells, simply back out of the menu and all the saved spells will start showing in your spells.
- Press Up on the D-Pad to change through the memorized spells.
Now, at the start of the game, you will only be able to save maximum 2 spells in your memory slots depending on Incantations. As the legendary incantations take more memory slots so, you will have to utilize them properly according to your build. However, in order to increase the Memory Slots, you will have to get more Memory Stones. Memory Stone is a key item that increases the Memory Slots used by Sorceries and Incantations. You can find the Memory Stones at the following locations.
- Buy it from Twin Maiden Husks for 3,000 Runes at Roundtable Hall.
- Go to the Top of the Oridys’s Rise in Weeping Peninsula and you will find it in a chest.
- Go to the Top floor of Converted Tower in western Liurnia of the Lakes and you will find it in a chest.
- Defeat Red Wolf of Radagon at Raya Lucaria Academy.
- Go to the top floor of Testu’s RIse in northern Liurnia of the Lakes and you will find it in a chest.
- Go to the top floor of Seluvis’s Rise and you will find it in a chest.
- Go to the top floor of Lenne’s Rise in eastern Caelid and you will find it in a chest.
- Defeat Demi-Human Queen Maggie at Mt. Gelmir.
Getting all of the Memory Stones do require progression in the main story so, you will have to unlock different regions to get to the locations of the Memory Stones. As you get more Memory Stones, you will get to Memorize more of the Incantations.
How to Get a Seal
Now, for the final item regarding the use of Incantation, which is a Sacred Seal. There are a number of Seals that you can find throughout your journey in Elden Ring. However, if you are willing to get a Seal as early as possible to use the Incantations then you can get one from Twin Maiden Husks for 800 Runes at Roundtable Hall. She will sell you the Finger Seal which is exactly the same as the Prophet and Confessor class. It is the starting sacred seal in the game and as you progress ahead, you can change it with other seals if you want.