Sony has released an update for its PS5 system software today, which brings in a number of improvements along with several new features. The update 23.01-07.00.00 brings the firmware of the PS5 to Version 7 and is now available for all consoles.
It focuses on improving not only the gaming experience but also aims to enhance users’ social experience. It will allow players to screen share, including the Discord voice chat option, and also has the option to use voice to capture clips from the gameplay. Furthermore, it brings improvements to 1440p resolution and includes several other game library enhancements.
The Discord voice chat option is the major new feature added in the update. It will enable console users to transfer a Discord call to their console via the Discord app on a PC or a mobile device.
However, this feature is limited in that you cannot access Discord servers directly on a PS5 without first transferring it to a mobile device or a PC. The Discord voice chat will appear on the PS5 dashboard as a party in a separate app unless the call is ended.
Moreover, the Discord voice chat option only supports voice calls as of now, meaning that you can’t view other Discord users’ streams or stream your screen to the Discord call.
In addition to these, two new features have also been added to the PS5 consoles, including the Join Game and the Friends Who Play options. The first option allows players to quickly join games that their friends are currently playing, whereas the latter allows players to see which of their friends have a specific game, who is online, and who is currently playing the game.
The update rolls out the support for various Variable Refresh Rates at 1440p and also adds the ability to transfer data from one PS5 console to another via a local LAN cable or Wi-Fi network.
The patch notes released with the update are as follows:
- 1440p video output has been expanded on PS5.
- VRR (variable refresh rate) is now supported for 1440p resolution.
- More modes and HDMI devices are now supported. To check if your HDMI device supports this, go to [Settings] > [Screen and Video] > [Video Output] > [Test 1440p Output].
- You can now transfer data between PS5 consoles. Easily transfer all of your PS5 data to another PS5.
- This process doesn’t remove or modify your data on your original PS5. You can now join Discord voice chats on your PS5.